Sunday, September 26, 2010

Pieceful weekend

I had finished the appliqued part last weekend, and was a bit nervous about assembling all those blocks. My main concern was the seams. Of course. Until now, I pieced my patchworks with the standard foot, but was not over enthusiastic. In particular, I found it difficult to keep a regular seam allowance. I new that special feet exist, but never bothered to check on my machine. Until yesterday. And yes, I have such a foot. I've used it to overcast seams. It does wonders for overcast. Out of lazyness (not wanting to change the foot), I tried to make a straight point seam with that foot, and it was rather a disaster. So I had doubts about using it for piecing. But I was wrong. It does make piecing easier, with better visibility and better grip of the fabrics. All my seams had the same width, all along, even at the ends.This foot is designed to work at the edges of fabrics, not at a distance over 1/4" inch, that's all. I enjoyed the piecing part and did not encounter the matching problems I usually met. You can imagine that I am a bit more relaxed now.

Now I have to think about further borders. The first interdemiate ones are cut in the green fabric and waiting. I think I'll add some purple and that'll be it. And I have to think of the back. Either make one from my leftovers, or buy a piece of floral fabrics. Not sure yet which way I'll go.

In the meantime, I whish you all a great week!

PS: Go and have a look at Amandine's blog!

12 comments:

Rosemary said...

What a gorgeous piece. Interesting that the foot made such a difference. Guess one is never too old to learn a thing or two. Will try myself..

wendy said...

that's so pretty! i love all the little komonos

Laurence said...

Superbe !

Carol B. said...

Love the bright colors!

tirane93 said...

i've really enjoyed watching this one come together and it looks great! thanks for sharing with us.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

This is looking great - the colours are spectacular together.

solange said...

Une fois terminé il sera superbe. J'attend avec impatience le résultat final. Bises.

neki desu said...

yes, superbe!

Lisa at Greenbow said...

This looks like a house of geishas. Great job.

Shirley Goodwin said...

The quilt is looking great, Veronique.

Joyce said...

Great job. What foot did you use?

Unknown said...

Oh dear, it looks so beautiful. I love those little girls with kimono on. The Japanese dolly is always one of my favourites.

Well done!