Saturday, October 9, 2010

Kokeshi - borders and back

Thank you for the comments on the embroidery! Once I was started, it was easy to go on and quite enjoyable. I think I'll do some more tomorrow.

In the meantime, I found the time to add borders to the Kokeshi. I try to cut borders before anything else, but I forgot this time. Of course, I ended with little fabric left, so I add to do come computation and sewing to add those borders. And an error while cutting was not an option, believe me! But here it is.

DSC01704
I mentioned I was tempted by a pieced back. I still had some doubts, but a visit to Stash Manicure, and the kind answer of Sarah, of Confessions of a  Fabric Addict to my question convinced me that a pieced back was what I needed and wanted to do. I had earned me a free Friday afternoon and was very motivated. I've used the floral leftovers from the front, together with a pale lavender leftover from a previous quilt. And here it is. 

DSC01705
Money saved for a future quilt, and a stash manincure. Isn't it great? I even have quilting thread left from the same pale lavender quilt... Now I need to purchase some batting and find the time to quilt, but that is another story.
I was very motivated indeed: I went to my sewing room at 3 pm, it was almost 8 pm when I reached to my patchwork bag to put my finished work away. Suprise: the bag moved. A very bored cat had found herself a nice place to sleep...Note, this is not the one from last week.
DSC01692

10 comments:

Vicki W said...

The Kokeshi quilt is so cute!

Laurence said...

Ton quilt est très joli.Les couleurs sont très belles.

Sarah Craig said...

Beautiful back! Good work - see, I knew you had it in you!!!

Lisa at Greenbow said...

The front of the quilt is beautiful with its borders sewn on. The back is a nice surprise after looking at cute ladies on the front to find flowers on the back. Your cat is so sweet sitting there in your bag.

solange said...

J'aime beaucoup cette reconstitution de tissus pour l'arrière, cela donnera de la couleur et beaucoup d'originalité.
Je vois que tes assistants sont toujours présents :-)

Unknown said...

Oh they are just lovely. I think it would look great if it's framed too. I can imagine what beautiful quilts you're going to use soon.

neki desu said...

the back looks very good too.

Kerri said...

Your work is beautiful, Vero, and so are your cats :)
Aren't these last sunny days wonderful?
We've had 3 in a row this weekend, and the sun is shining this morning as well.
We woke up Sunday morning to our first heavy frost. So sad to see many of the plants ruined. I wish summer would go on and on....

Rosemary said...

Lovely . Cat is cute too.

Maxmom said...

Beautiful fabrics and beautiful kitty! :)
Sending lotsaluv
MAXMOM IN SA