A blog about needles, threads, yarns, with a lump of cats, food, trips, and a pinch of gardening.
Sunday, September 26, 2010
I had finished the appliqued part last weekend, and was a bit nervous about assembling all those blocks. My main concern was the seams. Of course. Until now, I pieced my patchworks with the standard foot, but was not over enthusiastic. In particular, I found it difficult to keep a regular seam allowance. I new that special feet exist, but never bothered to check on my machine. Until yesterday. And yes, I have such a foot. I've used it to overcast seams. It does wonders for overcast. Out of lazyness (not wanting to change the foot), I tried to make a straight point seam with that foot, and it was rather a disaster. So I had doubts about using it for piecing. But I was wrong. It does make piecing easier, with better visibility and better grip of the fabrics. All my seams had the same width, all along, even at the ends.This foot is designed to work at the edges of fabrics, not at a distance over 1/4" inch, that's all. I enjoyed the piecing part and did not encounter the matching problems I usually met. You can imagine that I am a bit more relaxed now.
Now I have to think about further borders. The first interdemiate ones are cut in the green fabric and waiting. I think I'll add some purple and that'll be it. And I have to think of the back. Either make one from my leftovers, or buy a piece of floral fabrics. Not sure yet which way I'll go.