Saturday, July 31, 2010

Kata Tjuta (the Olgas)

Lisa, there are many odd things in Australia, that's part of the charm...
Neki, those landscapes are both intimidating and relaxing, especially for a urban girl who does not have to make a living there. I mean, the mind is not assaulted by too many information, and I had nothing to worry about, like finding food, water and gas...
Rosemary, I try not to sleep too much, to store as many views as possible in my mind. I'm aware I'm very lucky to have travelled to Australia.

Back to the trip...

The Stuart Highway led us to the center of Australia, around Alice Spring.
Our first stop was in Kata Tjuta, also known as the Olgas. They are a set of big boulders, about 30 km away from Uluru. They are the perfect match to Uluru.
At the end of the Wikipedia article, there is a panorama of Kata Tjuta, that is worth the visit.

The walk through them is striking in the afternoon light. That's what Lonely Planet says, and it is true.
Boulders, valleys, desert, some pretty vegetation in the middle of nowhere... enjoy:

DSC01364

DSC01368

DSC01369

DSC01373

DSC01376

DSC01380

DSC01382

DSC01384

4 comments:

Lisa at Greenbow said...

I love that third from the last picture of the stump in front of those big rocks. Beautiful desert scenery.

Joyce said...

My daughter lives in Australia and we went to Uluru on one of our visits. Simply amazing! Your pictures of the area are wonderful.

Rosemary said...

What fabulous photos.

Kerri said...

Your photos are amazing of this fantastic place, Vero.
I agree with Lisa - the shot with the stump is absolutely beautiful. Again, thanks so much for sharing your wonderful trip.
There's so much of Australia I haven't seen!